Tuesday, May 1, 2007

How many people can live on a teacher's salary?

I was talking to a friend of mine today on the phone. She told me about a teacher friend of hers that had a wife and four children all living on his salary. Yes, you read that correctly. She was a stay at home wife and mother to their four, count them, one, two, three, FOUR children. He taught school, coached, and taught driver's ed. As the children were old enough, they pursued jobs around town and mom worked part time once all were in school. However, the major earnings were his and his alone.

Now let me say, that I agree with a stay at home parent if at all possible. If these two can do it, then I'm thinking just about anything is possible.

As I listened to her tell me this, I felt almost wasteful. I mean, I don't just go out spending money hand over fist, but I don't really have any left over at the end of the month either. And it's just me! They had six people living on approximately the same salary that I make.

I can't even imagine the sacrifices those parents made for those children.

I applaud them and all who make those kinds of sacrifices each day for their children.

No comments: